The Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program was created by Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. It is now offered at many centres world-wide. The course involves group sessions once a week, for 8 weeks, as well as instructions for practice at home.
- mbsr.co.za, City Bowl, Cape Town: Dr Simon Whitesman, general practitioner and medical psychotherapist, and Linda Kantor, counselling psychologist, hypnotherapist and yoga teacher. Simon and Linda are both certified MBSR instructors.
- Beingmindful, Vredehoek, Cape Town: Denise Washkansky, clinical psychologist and life coach, and Debbie Grusd, physiotherapist and TRE practitioner. Monthly meditation meetings are also offered.
- Vijo Wellness Clinic, Durbanville, Cape Town: Dr Annelie van Breda, psychologist. In addition to MBSR, Annelie also offers mindful eating workshops.
- Mindfulness in East-London: Barbara Gerber, counselling psychologist, and Janine Kirby, family practitioner and homeopath.
- Mindfulness Port Elizabeth: Dr Margo de Kooker and Dr Greg Smith.
- MBSR George: Dr Lydia Altini, integrative medical practitioner.
- MBSR Knysna and Plettenberg Bay: Anneke Barnard, counselling psychologist. Anneke received professional training in body-mind medicine and MBSR under the leadership of Jon Kabat-Zinn and Saki Santorelli.
- Mindfulness Training Pretoria: Lyn Lupke, counselling psychologist, and Hettie Mathie, trauma counsellor.
- Mindful Living, Fourways, Johannesburg: Nico Brink, clinical psychologist. One-day workshops on mindfulness are also offered.